65.0 Miles (104.61 km)
- Distance: 65.0 Miles (104.61 km)
- Rating: 4-C, Remote loop lined with dense tree's and dotted with a few tiny communities. Ratings Explained »
- Travel: Either direction for best results
- Start: MT-2 Between Leonia and Yakt, MT
- End: Libby, MT
- Fuel: You may (or may not) be able to get fuel in Yaak. But for sure in Libby, MT
This is a really fun loop, sometimes called the "Bobtail Loop", but it is made even more special based on just a handful of glorious corners just north of Libby on Pipe Creek Road. These few corners are some of the best couple of corners since Genghis Khan invented the corkscrew (clever Hunter S. Thompson reference).
Tucked in to the Kootenai National Forest, this road runs north of Troy, Montana, Libby Montana and west of Koocanusa reservoir. It's remote and quiet in a way that most roads known only to the locals usually are.
Ride this in either direction, but riding south out of Yaak into Libby allows you to get the most of out those last few corners before dropping out of the mountains.
Both Libby, MT and Troy, MT will have food and fuel and logding, but outside of that, this is a pretty remote part of the world.